Tuesday, June 7, 2011

words can't even begin to describe this.



To be perfectly honest, words cannot describe the natural beauty that I have experienced since I've been here.

But, I'll give it a try; seeing, watching and breathing in the Irish greenery has been MAAGGGGGNIIIFFIIICENNNTTTT!!!!

There were times when I was wholly captivated by my surroundings, my brain almost unable to process what my eyes were witnessing, almost like this guy in Yosemite, California.

In case that description's not enough for you, check out the pictures and videos below. Keep in mind, as gorgeous as these photos are, they don't do this countryside justice.


Glendalough (Saturday, May 28, 2011)

The name means "glen of two lakes" in Gaelic, the indigenous language of Ireland.
For every hill, forest and pathway we traversed, I felt as though I was being transported to a world of hobbits living happily and humbly in their Shire. Although I didn't run into any strange creatures, this must have been the type of setting that influenced Tolkien.

Hooff Cooksey and I stand beside a waterfall that cascades just off a walkway in Glendalough.
Credit: Lauren Jones

Lauren Jones and I "prom pose" from atop a hill in Glendalough, overlooking the Upper Lake.
Credit: Casey Kelly

Professor Dave Junker and I "prom pose" from atop a hill in Glendalough, overlooking the Upper Lake.
Credit: Lauren Jones

I stand at the Upper Lake shoreline at Glendalough.
Credit: Hooff Cooksey


Connemara National Park (Friday, June 3, 2011)

Imagine falling asleep on a bus in a metropolis, with its grey streets, low-slung smog, and hustle and bustle. Then, you wake up to verdancy so vibrant that you can't help but let out a sigh of wondrous contentment as you come to the realization that things this beautiful actually exist.

Thanks to Paddywagon Tours, I was able to travel to Connemara National Park and The Cliffs of Moher (see further down below) on the western coast of Ireland and take in views that would rival those of Yosemite and The Grand Canyon. Enjoy the pictures and video below, but keep in mind, they don't do the settings justice.

A few of my Maymester classmates and I pose along a Connemara lake, surrounded by bog.
From Left to Right: (Standing) Me, Stephanie Mejia, Kaitlyn Howell, Hooff Cooksey,
(Sitting) Casey Kelly and Megan Plunkett
Credit: random traveler

I stand with Kylemore Abbey in the background. In Irish, the prefixes "kyle" or "kill" mean "church."
Credit: Hooff Cooksey




Cliffs of Moher (Saturday, June 4, 2011)

"wow"

Hooff Cooksey sits on the edge of a 600-foot cliff, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
Credit: Me

Hooff Cooksey, Stephanie Mejia, Megan Plunkett and I take in the views from about 700 feet.
Credit: Chinese tourist

I stand atop the highest, most remote section of the cliffs that I could find and pray that the winds stay calm.
Credit: Hooff Cooksey



1 comment: