Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Why Am I Here?

So, while they've got us here (15 strangers coming together under one roof...), we will help the Irish government education agency, Education in Ireland, market study abroad opportunities in this country to American students. Today we met with its consulting firm, Zinc to get a better understanding of the agency's branded approach.

Among many other things, Zinc recently led Education in Ireland through a massive brand overhaul, changing its name, logo and tagline. The firm also refined its approach to the target market.

I look forward to contributing to these efforts in hopes of creating an even stronger and more relevant marketing campaign (Ireland is currently the ninth most popular study abroad destination for Americans).

What's most exciting is that there are so many potential targets which Education in Ireland can cater to. This includes undergraduate and graduate students, students who want to work towards an Irish degree and those who are here for only short period of time.

As an American undergraduate with many friends currently studying abroad, or planning to do so, I feel I have developed a pretty good sense of what us "Yankees" are looking for. What Americans are looking for is immersion. We want culture. We want history. Yes, we want to party too. Most of all, we want a worthwhile, memorable experience.

After staying here just for a week, I can attest to Ireland having all of these things. I've toured Christ Church Cathedral. I've eaten in a pub that was founded 800 years ago. I've enjoyed myself in the Temple Bar (see video below) area and at infamous clubs like Copper's.

The challenge will be translating these rich cultural experiences into marketable items that will appeal to Americans: a task my classmates and I welcome in these coming weeks.

(Me showcasing my moves in Dublin's Temple Bar area on May 31, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment